Grandma can’t read, but she knows a lot of things.
阿嬤不識字 但是伊識真多的代誌
She says lightning is the key to the sky, it opens up the rainwater
伊講閃電是天的鎖匙 鎖匙打開有雨水
Grandma can’t read, but she has a love letter
阿嬤不識字 但是有一張情批寫乎伊
After several decades of not opening it, she says writing doesn’t compare to thoughts and yearning
經過幾十年不曾拆開 伊講寫字不如相思
“The him I love, wants to come and go, he says solitude suits him”
“我愛的伊 欲來離開 伊講孤單尚適合伊”
“Without even half a word, the past was cut off, He wasn’t willing to give out, yet I kept crying for him.”
“無留半字 就斷了過去 不甘心付出 為伊哮歸暝”
“The him I love, wants to come and go, he says solitude suits him”
“我愛的伊 欲來離開 伊講孤單尚適合伊”
“Oaths of love even lose their meaning, love letters can even make those in love go blind”
“山盟海誓 也失去意義 情批攏無字 癡心變青眠”
I asked grandma, what does the letter say?
我甲阿嬤問 阿嬤的情批是寫啥咪
She said a lover who wants to love but doesn’t have the courage, uses words to gain your love (uses words to gain separation)
伊講情人欲愛無勇氣 才來用字騙情意 (才來用字騙分開)